I had same problem until I had the tank repaired and cleaned. The blockage
was happening between the tank and the primary filter. I had to blow in the
hose to clear. Yuk!  I bought a soccer ball pump that worked well.
Later, installed a squeeze bulb to prime the system.  A secondary benefit
of bulb was when the engine quit the bulb would go flat and I could
immediately tell if the hose was clogged.

Fred Hazzard
S/V Fury
C&C 44
Portland Or