That was poor engineering to begin with.  Seacocks should be closed when
not in use and more importantly when not on board - particularly those
below the water line.  There is no time when your cockpit drains will not
be in use.  Besides, seacocks that are inaccessible never get closed.  I
suggest looking for a place to re-route your drains, to a location above
the waterline, without valves, and then permanently retire the through
hulls.

Also consider the waterline when heeled.  You may have to cross port and
starboard.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+