Maybe dumb question but I have only been sailing on C&c  40 for 3 years. (J24
Catalina oday all had open cockpit drains out stern)

When sailing do people regularly close cockpit drains  I am on the side mine
are always open but I did service mine which required them to be taken
apart(frozen open— lots of pb. Blaster and kroil oil and careful persuasion) ).
So if I wanted to I could close them  I could

Thanks

Peter
C&c 40 aft 1983
Portland me