You don’t need cell or wifi to run ...say, Navionics, on most tablets or
phones. The gps operates independently of the networks. And the charts are in
your device’s memory. My iPhone (IOS) and Samsung tablet (Android) serve as
excellent chart plotters anywhere. I use Navionics but there are several
others. Whether you can use them offshore or not depends on what charts you
download to them. Unless you are going a long way offshore, most of the coastal
Northeast North America (in my case) charts are sufficient.
Dan Sargeant
Ocean Pearl
C&C32
Lunenburg, NS