The older less expensive iPads did not have gps. My friend has one and bought a
plug in gps for it. You can now get inexpensive WiFi enabled gps or GNSS pucks
that can interface to the iPad by WiFi or Bluetooth.  These are very nice
because you can place them where satellite reception is optimal so even if you
are below deck you get a clear signal.
GNNS is also very nice because it utilizes US GPS as well as foreign systems
and operates at 9600 baud rather than 4800. I have one plugged into my computer
along with OpenCPN and it is fast and deadly accurate.

GNSS stands for Global Navigation Satellite System, and is the standard generic
term for satellite navigation systems that provide autonomous geo-spatial
positioning with global coverage. This term includes e.g. the GPS, GLONASS,
Galileo, Beidou and other regional systems. GNSS is a term used worldwide The
advantage to having access to multiple satellites is accuracy, redundancy and
availability at all times.  Though satellite systems don't often fail, if one
fails GNSS receivers can pick up signals from other systems.  Also if line of
sight is obstructed, having access to multiple satellites is also a benefit.
Common GNSS Systems are GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou and other regional
systems.

Sent from my iPhone