I don't think out on the water counts as poor signal conditions.  My Sony
android tablet has a built in GPS receiver and runs Navionics perfectly, as
does my phone (which has no data plan, hence is not getting a location fix via
data).

Do the cheaper iPads not have a GPS chip in them?

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2019-01-19 12:17 p.m., Jerome Tauber via CnC-List wrote:
What this discussion is missing is the distinction between stand alone gps and
assisted or augmented gps found in most mobile or cellular devices. Mobile
devices having cell service or internet provider can augment gps. If the mobile
device has no gps and no cell service it can still get a position from WiFi
connection.  These are usually called location devices rather than gps and will
only work with internet or cell service within range.  If the device also has a
gps or has external gps access it will work anywhere that gps signals are
available which is just about world wide. As long as your charts are downloaded
on the device it should work anywhere.  The following discussion is from
Wikipedia.

Standalone/self-ruling GPS
devices<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_navigation_device> depend solely on
information from satellites<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_satellite>.
A-GPS augments that by using cell tower data to enhance quality and precision
when in poor satellite signal conditions. In exceptionally poor signal
conditions, for example in urban areas, satellite signals may exhibit multipath
propagation<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation> where
signals skip off structures, or are
weakened<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_propagation#Absorption> by
meteorological conditions or tree canopy. Some standalone GPS
navigators<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_navigation_device> used in poor
conditions can't fix a position because of satellite signal
fracture<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Signal_fracture&action=edit&redlink=1>
 and must wait for better satellite reception. A regular GPS unit may need as
long as 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and
ephemerides<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals#Navigation_message>) to
resolve the problem and be able to provide a correct
location.[2]<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS#cite_note-2>

An assisted GPS system can address these problems by using external data.
Utilizing this system can come at a cost to the user. For billing purposes,
network providers often count this as a data
access<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_access>, which can cost money,
depending on the
plan.[3]<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS#cite_note-cnet-3>

To be precise, A-GPS features depend mostly on an internet network or
connection to an
ISP<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Service_Provider>(or CNP, in the
case of CP/mobile-phone device linked to a cellular network provider data
service). A mobile (cell phone, smart phone) device with just an L1 front-end
radio
receiver<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Satellite_frequencies>and
 no GPS acquisition, tracking, and positioning engine only works when it has an
internet connection to an ISP/CNP, where the position fix is calculated
offboard the device itself. It doesn't work in areas with no coverage or
internet link (or nearby base transceiver
station<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_transceiver_station> (BTS) towers,
in the case on CNP service coverage area). Without one of those resources, it
can't connect to the A-GPS servers usually provided by CNPs. On the other hand,
a mobile device with a GPS chipset requires no data connection to capture and
process GPS data into a position solution, since it receives data directly from
the GPS satellites and is able to calculate a position fix itself. However, the
availability of a data connection can provide assistance to improve the
performance of the GPS chip on the mobile device.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2019, at 10:56 AM, T power via CnC-List

Hi Bruce,

I was thinking of using a Samsung tablet also. Do you happen to sail offshore,
If so are you still able to run a Nav program in real time when out of range of
cell and wifi?

Cheers,

Tom Power
Invictus