At the risk of going against the grain here, I think I would relax a little
bit. Upon looking at that as close as I can with those pictures, and of course
you can only see one side – (You need to light up the backside, and take
several hi-res pictures of the other side) I don’t think it looks all that bad.

Most importantly, there are no cracks or checks in that fiberglass bulkhead,
and if you cut it out, you will be replacing it with fiberglass and epoxy. A
good fix, for sure, but right now you probably have a homogenous bond with the
hull, and a replacement will be a mechanical bond. The fact that it is 35-40
years old and still completely check –free, is golden.

The plywood in the middle is not really structural, just a filler. I would try
to figure a way to remove whatever was rotten, and fill that area in so it is
completely solid, (probably with thickened epoxy) and thoroughly seal it
afterwards.

You need to get that chainplate off, passivate the hell out of it, and check it
for cracks. Then put some new 316 Bolts in there.

Of course this advise it worth exactly what you paid for it - but that is what
I would do if it was my boat.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA