Hi Dan,

Only ease the backstay a little bit. The normal shroud tension is okay.

        Cheers, Russ

At 05:40 AM 1/30/2019, you wrote:
Actually, this is only the backing plate in the photo. At a second glance that last bolt and the plate itself does look rusty. The chainplate is on the other side and I won't know how it looks until I've removed it. I'll be sure to check it over thoroughly and replace if necessary. I'm not too woried if the backing plate has pits or cracks - it won't be under the same stresses as the chainplate itself.

I do have one big question - If I want to remove the headstay at dock like this, can I just secure it down to the toe rail with lines then remove the attachments? Should I be letting off all of the stays to do this?

Dan
Breakaweigh
C&C44
Halifax, NS

Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your contributions. Each and every one is greatly appreciated. If you want to support the list - use PayPal to send contribution -- https://www.paypal.me/stumurray