I believe someone here suggested Magnets, which at the time I thought wouldn’t
connect through that thickness, but I tried with a pair of very strong magnets
at the point that I wanted, but didn’t think I could B/C of where I thought the
lead would be, and voila, the outside magnet stuck to the Inside Magnet!

Which means, of course, that you can drill from the outside and not be taking a
blind chance.

However, I never left my mast up, so I never actually installed a garboard
drain.

On another note, just looked at a friend’s C&C 36 that has a garboard plug, and
in spite of this, had a section of lead blow out over the winter down in the
keel bolt.  I have no idea how that much water (or any!) could have gotten down
into where the keel bolt is embedded into the keel.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA