I used this Magnets technique to install a garboard drain on my 35 Mk2 with
great success 3 years ago. Can’t remember who suggested it on this list serve
but it works very well.  Moving the magnets around, I found the lowest place in
the bilge that still had the hole coming out in a suitable place where the keel
is attached to the hull. Drilling from the outside, once the position was
marked, was easy and the angle, perpendicular to the contour of the hull/keel
joint, came out just where the internal magnet had been located.  Drilled a
pilot hole first to make sure it came out at the right place in the bilge. An
improvement this winter was to pull a piece of absorbent cloth thru the hole
and hanging down a few inches on the outside, which acted like a wick. This
kept the bilge completely dry all winter. Based on an earlier suggestion on
this list serve to use a wick to drain the low point on the deck thru one of
the holes in the toe rail, where it also works very well.

Eric Frank, C&C 35 Mk II, Mattapoisett, MA