Shawn,
Not sure if this is an answer to your question but I have some thoughts. I have
not sailed on either the Erickson or C&C 29 but both are good well made brands.
My best advise for you is to encourage your wife to find a local “Learn to
Sail” program so that she can learn to be comfortable under sail. All sailboats
heal in a breeze tender or not and if this makes her uncomfortable you will be
doing a lot of single handed sailing. If you too are a beginner you should take
a class together so she can learn to trust your skills. She needs to be able to
trust you in the boat. Once someone becomes frightened in a sailboat it is a
hard thing to overcome. Adults are much harder to teach to sail than children
mostly because of the fear factor.
Also, I’m a real believer in the “smaller cheaper” boat for almost anyone but
certainly for someone who is new to the sport. While sailing a smaller boat,
everything is easier to manage, forces are less and maintenance is simpler and
everything costs less. My wife and I have sailed our entire lives and our
biggest boat is our current C&C 33 and we sometimes think about downsizing. We
spent many years racing and cruising a Newport 27 (a C&C design) sometimes with
and sometimes without our two children. It was plenty big enough for our family.
Anyway, that is my two cents.
Dave.
SLY
1965 C&C 33