Hi Ron,

Ok, here's the backstory... We started out looking at 27-30' boats, with
the hope of finding a C&C 30-1 based on what I'd read about its stiffness.
The first one we found was $25K and although it was in very good condition,
we just weren't that impressed, mainly with the interior layout. Gradually
I started looking at anything up to about $35K, which has included a lot of
boats: Westsail 32, Nicholson 31 & 35 (both very nice boats - should have
bought the 35), Alberg 37, Niagara 35, Ericson 29, 30+, 32, 35, Newport 28,
33, C&C 35-2, 36, 37. Of these, the C&C 35-2 and Nicholson 35 have
impressed me the most. The Nicholson is probably one of 3-4 on the
continent, so I don't expect to find another. The C&C 35-2 seems like a
great fit, but I don't expect I'll find another for $25K around here.

My wife grew up boating on a 26' wooden powerboat that her Dad built,
travelling to Desolation Sound every summer, so she is pretty comfortable
on the water, but has only sailed a few times on dinghies - Laser, Sunfish
and MacGregor 26. The MacGregor freaks her out because it gives the
illusion of a big boat with the stability of a dinghy. She's fine in a
Laser... she even hauled prawn traps from one last summer... :)

Finally, I am deciding between a "starter boat" around $10K, knowing that
we'll still look for the right boat. I don't want to pay much more than
$10K for a boat that will only last 1-2 years as the 12% sales tax is then
just throwing money away. If we find what seems like a good long term boat
for $25K or so, we'll go for it, but so far, that has been an elusive item.
Every $25K boat has either been an overpriced $15K boat (like that mint C&C
30), or a $35-40K boat that needs work. I'm ok with a boat that needs some
work, provided I can sail it while doing the work over time (so it needs a
decent engine, sails and rigging). After almost a year of this search, I no
longer have the time for a project boat.

So that's why a $10K boat makes sense to me... Is the 29 is that boat? I
don't know...

Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com