Try South Shore – I have sourced the derlin ring that the rudder of our 33-II
slides on there.

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Matthew L. Wolford
via CnC-List
Sent: April 20, 2019 10:11 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Matthew L. Wolford <wolf...@erie.net>
Subject: Stus-List Source for bronze

Listers:

    I am in need of a source for a small piece of bronze, which will likely
need to be fabricated.  On my 42, the top of the rudder post exits through the
coaming just aft of the cockpit.  There is a simple but ingenious method of
securing it.  There are two, small stainless steel wheels bolted to the rudder
post which roll on the surface when the rudder turns.  They sit on a bronze
ring that looks like a large washer that fits around the rudder post and is
screwed onto the deck.  The bronze ring serves as the surface for the two
wheels to roll on.  This contraption is housed in a fiberglass cover that
screws onto the top of the rudder post.  By removing the cover, you can use the
post for emergency steering, which, unlike a lot of boats I’ve seen, is a
reasonably convenient location for this.

    Last year, unbeknownst to me (due to the fiberglass cover), a nut came off
the bolt holding the wheels in place, and one of the wheels nearly came off.
Because the wheel was angled and not rolling flat, it started wearing a groove
into the bronze ring.  I would like to replace the bronze ring, but cannot
imagine this is an off-the-shelf item.  Does anyone know of a source for bronze
for this purpose.  Without measuring, my guess is that I need a piece roughly
6” x 6” x 3/16” thick (or thereabouts).