Hi Shawn,

Since you're hauled out for two weeks, why not do the keel joint properly? It will mean using an amount of epoxy to warrant purchasing a 2 litre pack, some fibre & tape. Leftovers go into general storage for cruising projects/repairs.

Remember: cruising is simply the act of travelling to some other place to work on your boat. :)

Try a solvent wash on the black goo. If it dissolves with a bit of exposure to solvent or gasoline then it's probably butyl sealant.

For local epoxy & great customer service I have been using Fiber Tek products for bulk epoxy.
https://www.fibertek.ca/product-category/fiberglass-materials/epoxy-resins/aqua-set/

Years ago my fave was Industial Formulatiors but they were bought up by Systems Three many years ago. The Cold Cure formulation is still the best wet cure repair epoxy, IMHO.

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1

Next is a set of instruction from Dennis, provided many year ago.
One thing to add, if you expose fresh lead while sanding/grinding it needs an epoxy primer coat right away as oxidation starts immediately. My routine was: at the end of the day I would mix a small batch of epoxy and freshly sand any exposed lead while the little woman would come follow right after and brush on the neat epoxy.

From Dennis:
  Here's the revised, completed reply.

The pics on the photoalbum are of my 35-1, Touche'. I repaired the smile when I bought the boat in 1999. Here's the words to go with the pics. * Tighten the keelbolts. If you don't properly torque the bolts, any attempts to fix the smile may fail. The torque specs are on the photoalbum site under the "Technical Info" button. Keelbolts should be backed off then torque dry (without lubrication) to the proper spec. * Dig out and loose crumbly keel material at the hull/keel joint back to solid material. * Preparation is critical. Rough up the fiberglass and make sure all dust and loose particles are removed. * Fill the area with thickened epoxy. You can use epoxy thickened with microfibers if the gap is fairly narrow (1/4 inch or less). If the gap is wider, I would use epoxy thickened with chopped fiber or "kitty hair". I used chopped carbon fiber (whoohoo! high tech!) If the gap is wide, fill in a few layers rather than one large fill.
   * After curing, fair out the repair.
* I covered the entire hull keel joint with a strip of 4 inch biaxial tape and epoxy. * I then covered the first layer of tape with 2 overlapping strips of biaxial tape and epoxy. Probably overkiil if the bolts are properly torqued.
   * Fair out the repair.

This repair has held for 12 years. I have had a fairly hard grounding or two with no noticeable effects.

I am familiar with G-Flex having used it to re-attach the floor in an inflatable dinghy (worked fairly well). As this repair involves a joint that is under significant compression, I think I would want a material that was rigid and did not compress.

Now for the caveats. This assumes that your hull, keel stub, keelbolts, washers, spacers and keel top are all in good condition.

If the washers and/or spacers under your keelbolt nuts are not stainless, change them now.

A chronic leak could have deteriorated the keelbolts. A friend of mine with a Tartan 33 had a chronic leak at the hull/keel joint. When the yard dropped his keel, a few of his keelbolts were deteriorated. The keel was shipped to Mars Metals for bolt replacement.

Problems with the integrity and construction of the keel stub have been reports for some boats. I'll let other listers describe these issues.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA