Hi Edd,
     I always kept the refrigeration and charger up and running all the
time.  The biggest risk is if the shore power ground is not a the same
potential as the water, then you can eat zincs like crazy.  You should have
a galvanic isolator on you boat to protect the zincs.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+
East Greenwich, RI, USA