I was initially "sold" on composting toilets and continued to consider
purchasing one.  I think that as a replacement for a portable camp toilet
they are suitable options.  Along my research journey I found one
individual who had done a side by side comparison of 2 different models.
In summary, he found that the rate of accumulation was far faster than the
rate of decomposition.  As such the clean out was akin to cleaning out a
bucket of poop.  It was not just "clean, decomposed soil".  In addition,
since the system is not sufficiently sized they do not engineer it to
accommodate urine being mixed with the "solids" and also cannot accommodate
any type of toilet tissue.  These left me with concerns over "What do I do
with the urine?  What do I do with the tissue?  And what/when/how do I
handle the clean out?  How do you instruct your guest on proper use?"  if
you can comfortably answer these questions for yourself then by all means
the composting toilets may be a good solution for you.

My boat came with a Vacu-Flush.  It sucks out the material.  Poop, pee and
tissue with no problems and only uses 16oz of water to do it.  My 20 gallon
holding tank is thusly able to accommodate ~150 flushes.  I have a
masserator pump which can be used to pump out the tank when greater than 3
miles offshore - if that was a goal.  While on inland waterways (always) I
just use the regularly available pump outs on a periodicity of about once
or twice a year - once a month if heavy use occurs and even then more for
the prevention of smell.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+