Any link to that article?
Joe

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 12:30 PM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List compost toilet?

I was initially "sold" on composting toilets and continued to consider
purchasing one.  I think that as a replacement for a portable camp toilet they
are suitable options.  Along my research journey I found one individual who had
done a side by side comparison of 2 different models.  In summary, he found
that the rate of accumulation was far faster than the rate of decomposition.
As such the clean out was akin to cleaning out a bucket of poop.  It was not
just "clean, decomposed soil".  In addition, since the system is not
sufficiently sized they do not engineer it to accommodate urine being mixed
with the "solids" and also cannot accommodate any type of toilet tissue.  These
left me with concerns over "What do I do with the urine?  What do I do with the
tissue?  And what/when/how do I handle the clean out?  How do you instruct your
guest on proper use?"  if you can comfortably answer these questions for
yourself then by all means the composting toilets may be a good solution for
you.

My boat came with a Vacu-Flush.  It sucks out the material.  Poop, pee and
tissue with no problems and only uses 16oz of water to do it.  My 20 gallon
holding tank is thusly able to accommodate ~150 flushes.  I have a masserator
pump which can be used to pump out the tank when greater than 3 miles offshore
- if that was a goal.  While on inland waterways (always) I just use the
regularly available pump outs on a periodicity of about once or twice a year -
once a month if heavy use occurs and even then more for the prevention of smell.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 11:09 AM Bev Parslow via CnC-List
Anyone has tried this? Do they work? Are there disadvantages?