I have a ST 60 knot meter. The unit started reading intermittently and then not
at all even though the wheel spun freely and had no marine growth. I replaced
the paddle wheel and the speed registered. The old paddle wheel had 5-6 years
of annual bottom paint application. I have not gone back to the old paddle
wheel but I suspect that the paint build up on the wheel and the surface of the
transducer just above the wheel was of sufficient thickness to block the
impulse. Scrape any paint from the paddle wheel and transducer surface and try
it out.

Ed Levert
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans