Interesting idea. I was also an IT guy (retired), but prefer to keep things
simple and manageable.

I'm not familiar with the WP30 (is there an earlier thread on this?), but I
also have an older autopilot controller, a ComNav 1420, currently driving a
Raymarine wheel pilot motor. I don't have any other electronics (have used
Navionics so far), but will need to get radar and a chartplotter soon for a
planned trip to Haida Gwai and around Vancouver Island. I don't use the AP
much, usually in calm weather motoring only, as the drive motor/belt system
is pretty weak. The ComNav 1420 does support NEMA 0183, so it might be
worth keeping.

What I'd really like to find is a more open system like Maretron with a
SI-Tex TCP/IP radar, but I understand those radomes are no longer made. I'm
not a fan of spending $$$ on vendor locked in electronics with a limited
lifespan. This SV Delos video on YT shows a very nice system that allows
for managing all functions from a tablet or PC, which appeals to me, but I
haven't located a source for a network radar at a reasonable cost yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUSrbKS1-A
--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com