I have now tightened all toerail nuts except those in the anchor locker.
Yesterday, while helping my neighbour with his boat, I decided to let the
hose run down the inside of the toerail for a while. The only leaks evident
were from the windlass switches (sealed by PO with silicone) and the pulpit
bases, which have been re-sealed and do not appear to have butyl under
them. I will be tackling the bow section next. It is still possible that
leaks may occur from below when in rough seas (since that is when more
water appears in the bilge), but I now suspect that most if not all of that
water may be coming in from the bow fittings area. So I am hopeful that my
toerail is dry, and I don't really know if it was leaking before, but it
was certainly due for tightening. It took some time (like a day or two)
before I noticed fresh butyl oozing out from below, so don't expect to see
it right away.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com