I have really enjoyed seeing the range of boats on the course this season,
and it's been educational to see how a well sailed but humble boat like a
Newport 28 (C&C underbody, but doesn't look quick at all) can beat the
usual runaway winner in our club, a CM1200. I'm told the carbon fibre mast
on the CM1200 is worth several small boats.
I hope to crew again on a boat flying spinnaker so I can continue to learn
and eventually fly my own. I am very comfortable doing everything on my
boat, even solo, but I know that flying the spin will require a crew I can
trust. There are several boats in the club that seem to have the magic
combination of being sailed well, with regular crew that have a lot of fun.
It is perhaps telling that the most fun I've had with the crew I was with
this season was when we were not racing - doing a 6 hour delivery to a
distance race was still the best sail I had on that boat, because the
skipper was far more relaxed and willing to work with the crew, let them
make mistakes, and then show them how to fix it. In the race, we still make
mistakes (or things break), but the yelling that follows doesn't lead to
learning or team-building. And when things break that could have resulted
in serious injury, and it appears the breakage could have been avoided with
better maintenance, design, or more caution, those who are risk averse,
like me, get worried about their safety.

Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com
S/V Callisto, 1974 C&C 35
https://www.facebook.com/SVCallisto