Ian,

I've had my A-4 out and back in twice since I bought the boat.  In my experience you're on the right track, some timber under the engine to slide it forward under the companionway.  My only addition was a chain fall hung from a 4x4 over the companionway to take most of the weight and to pull it forward.  I'm not sure of the 29-1's layout, but I'd suspect you could do something like that.

Once the engine was into the cabin, I had it lifted in/out by a yard crane once, and I did it myself the other time.  When I did it myself I used the boom as a crane, with the main halyard to lift the aft end of the boom. Actually used my main sheet as the block and tackle to hoist the engine, swung the boom over the side and lowered it to the ground.  It worked ok but reinstalling I used the chainfall, was more secure than the sheet.  And I got some sarcastic remark about hoping my insurance was paid up from the yard manager when he saw it....

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly, 35-1
Glen Cove, NY