I don't know a lot about these, but will share some observations from when
we used a friend's buoy last year, which is in an area notorious for losing
boats:

I experimented with a few things, but the best option I came up with was a
nylon line from one bow cleat, through the buoy ring, then back to the
other cleat. The second line was a heavy 1" line from a heavy bow eye just
above the waterline, through the buoy ring, then up to a bow cleat.
Originally, I used the heavier 1" line as the load bearing line, but having
one end of the line down low, and the other up high caused too much chafe
when the water was rough, as the bow dragged the line up and down.
Switching to the smaller line taking the load solved this problem.
The second issue was line wrap around the buoy. I once let out extra line
thinking it would help during some rough conditions, but ended up with the
line wrapped around the chain below the buoy, which took a while to
untangle due to mussels and barnacles (which surely would have cut through
the line after a while). So keep the line short is key, especially if there
is lots of current which might cause your boat to spin around the buoy.

Speaking of spinning, the last boat (of several each season) that ended up
on the beach had a too-long pendant that horribly snarled up in many
twists, which eventually snapped. There are also several power boats
sitting on the bottom in this mooring field, which is a bit scary at low
tide, when they seem to be only a few feet below the keel, and one is
~40'...  I tend to avoid that area now, except with the dinghy!

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com