During hurricanes I use at least 2 pennants if not more. They will be staggered in length so the first one has all the strain and the others don't have strain or chafe until the first one lets loose. I have never had one chafe through, but it could happen. You *must* have a swivel, I tried to do without once and my 3/4" pennant unraveled into 3 separate pieces. Swimming pool noodles are handy to keep the pennant from sinking and wrapping around the chain. As was mentioned, I have to move my anchor if I don't want it to chew through the mooring pennant.

Joe

Coquina

btw - pendants are pedantic people, pennants are ropes.