From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of John and
Maryann Read via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 7:49 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: John and Maryann Read <johnprea...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List speedometer - C&C 35 Mk2

Have had similar issues with my prior unit – Standard Horizon model 150 which
went out of production some 15 years ago and parts are hard to come by and only
on flea bay.
What brand and model is your speedometer?
No – no tubes per se.  Yours is all electric.  The paddle wheel has a small
magnet in one of the blades.  As it rotates, the electric pulse is picked up by
the transducer creating an electrical pulse which is transmitted via the wire
to your bulkhead gauge.  The faster the wheel turns the pulse increases and
your gauge registers greater speed.

Vast majority of issues are caused by growth around the blades, the blade shaft
or water facing of the transducer.  Ensure this is absolutely clean and blades
turn freely.  Normally requires cleaning several times each season.  If this is
good, then your transducer may be worn out / faulty.  Virtually all are made by
Airmar and their web site has an excellent cross reference of your unit to
their current part number.  This will require re running the wire to your gauge
which is often PITA and involves boat yoga.  In my case this fixed the problem.

When I had problem with  other units of my instruments and parts were nowhere
to be found, Santa was very nice and provided a new suite with all the latest
whiz bang features

Best of luck

John and Maryann
Legacy III