Yup, that's correct. If there are only two wires coming from
the paddlewheel transducer, it is likely this 'generator' type as a more
modern hall effect transducer will have at least three wires (I think).

Of course a broke wire or bad connection anywhere between the transducer
and the instrument will cause it all to not work.  We would just pull the
transducer and connect it directly to the back of the instrument to see
what happens.

>From the Troubleshooting section (last page) of the pdf I linked:

TROUBLESHOOTING

DISPLAY READS ZERO- The problem could be either the transmitter or the
display. Please follow the proceeding steps to determine cause of the
problem-

A. Measure the two wires of the transmitter with an ohm meter for
resistance value of approximately 2000 ohms (2K ohms). Do not spin the
paddlewheel.

a. If unit is good, then check paddlewheel for any broken fins or missing
magnets.
b. If unit is open (infinite resistance) then unit needs replacing.

B. Measure with an AC voltmeter when the paddlewheel is spinning. You
should get approximately 1.0 VAC at about 5 knots of speed when unloaded
(not hooked up to display).

INTERMITTENT READINGS- Keep the unit wired as normal and add an AC
voltmeter to where the input wires of the transmitter are connected. Motor
or sail as usual-

A. If an AC voltage is being produced but no speed indication appears on
display, then the problem is in the display.
B. If readings only occur when voltages are produced, then the paddlewheel
is not always turning. Clean paddlewheel first and be sure it spins freely,
and then try again. If the results are the same then paddlewheel may need
replacing.