I was under the impression that the bolts on my 30-1 are to be torqued to over
300 pounds. Am I mistaken?

Gary

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Chris Bennett via
CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 2:15 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Chris Bennett <crben...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Keel movement in C&C 24

Russ - thanks for the west coast humour - yes we are lucky here to have our
boats in the water year round - though it does have its downsides too in that
the hulls never dry out and growth on the bottom continues even in the winter.

The torques I applied to the 3/4 inch bolts were around 140 foot pounds. After
consulting some torque figures on this website, I looked up a value for 3/4
inch stainless bolts on a fastener website that had been recommended to me. I
increased that value by about 10% to allow for the extra weight of the keel.
The 4th bolt under the mast step is too tight and buried to get a torque wrench
on so I tightened it with a beefy 1/2 inch socket wrench as far as possible to
a guesstimated 40-50 foot pounds. Incidentally, 140 foot pounds was about as
much as I could easily put on the torque wrench without adding leverage of an
extension handle or torque converter.

Chris