Hi Chris & Josh,

I am not in agreement that keel bolts can only be tightened while the boat is ashore.

While that is a convenient activity during the annual haulout period that Eastern boats get, it is not entirely practical for us on the West Coast or the lads down south. We might only haul every two or three years.

The technical sheet in the link shows the theoretical load on a 1" bolt (torque to 350 ft-lbs spec) is ~12,000 lbs. This is more than the weight of the keel such that it does not matter whether the keel is supported on the ground or hanging in the water, the joint is held firmly together by one keelbolt. The rest are not required to do anything at this time.
https://www.hobson.com.au/files/technical/utd-gd-torque-tension.pdf

I suggest that the proper procedure for tightening keelboats be observed whether the boat is in water or in the yard.

For a 1" keelboat to 350 ft-lbs torque:
start with centre nut and take it to 250 ft-lbs, repeat for other nuts alternating for and aft sequence remove centre nut and lubricate, retorque to 300 ft-lbs, repeat as for other nuts as above
retorque centre nut to 350 ft-lbs, repeat as for other nuts as above
Then you can a have a beer Chris and reflect on how fortunate you are to be sailing B.C South Coast. Anything 100 miles to the east of you is beyond Hope.
   :)     <VBG>

        Cheers, Russ
        East side o'  Vancouver Island