Hi Brian,

I also have a Schumacher charger, model SC4.  It seemed to work well enough for
my purposes.  A couple years ago a cycling bilge pump ran my batteries flat on
two occasions, and I had to pull them out and bring them home for charging.  I
don’t know how you’re defining “fully charged” but if I recall correctly I
would have 13.6 volts of potential from each battery after charging on the
Schumacher.  I don’t have a battery level meter on my boat.

I’ve got a small solar panel and charge controller on my boat that
trickle-charges the batteries.  It keeps them topped up enough that I leave
them on board over the winter and have the amperage to start the A4 on launch
in the spring.  I’ve got a pair of group 29 lead/acid batteries that I topped
up with distilled water when I brought them home to recharge.  Two years after
running them both flat twice, and recharging them with that Schumacher SC4,
they’re still giving perfect service.

If I recall correctly I bought that Schumacher unit because it was relatively
inexpensive.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine