From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Randy
Stafford via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 1:40 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Randy Stafford <randal.staff...@icloud.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List Battery Charger at home?

Hi Brian,

I also have a Schumacher charger, model SC4.  It seemed to work well enough for
my purposes.  A couple years ago a cycling bilge pump ran my batteries flat on
two occasions, and I had to pull them out and bring them home for charging.  I
don’t know how you’re defining “fully charged” but if I recall correctly I
would have 13.6 volts of potential from each battery after charging on the
Schumacher.  I don’t have a battery level meter on my boat.

I’ve got a small solar panel and charge controller on my boat that
trickle-charges the batteries.  It keeps them topped up enough that I leave
them on board over the winter and have the amperage to start the A4 on launch
in the spring.  I’ve got a pair of group 29 lead/acid batteries that I topped
up with distilled water when I brought them home to recharge.  Two years after
running them both flat twice, and recharging them with that Schumacher SC4,
they’re still giving perfect service.

If I recall correctly I bought that Schumacher unit because it was relatively
inexpensive.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30 MK I #79
Ken Caryl, CO

On Apr 30, 2020, at 10:47 AM, nausetbeach--- via CnC-List

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good at home battery charger?  My
charger died earlier this week.  It was a “smart” charger made by Schumacher
but it never seemed to really get the batteries fully charged.  I never could
find out the charging parameters.  Having a charger with an option which can
force an equalization step seems like a necessary capability.  I have flooded
batteries and do not see changing type in the near future.

By way of background, last fall I asked about storing batteries over the winter
– Rob A, Marek, Ken H and others all recommended leaving them on board, and Ken
sent a link to an article on RC’s / Marine How To website about battery
storage, which was very helpful.  In that article RC strongly suggested the
batteries should be at full charge and they should be fine come spring.  I had
zero confidence my battery charger [a home / garage charger, do not have an on
board charger or even any AC on board] would be up to the task so once again I
brought the batteries home.

Thanks,
Brian