From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 2020-05-13 21:50 (GMT-05:00)
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Moving Main Sheet Traveler on a C&C-34

Moving the traveller into the cockpit has engineering and leverage advantages.
The compromise is that it is much more inconvenient to the cockpit occupants.

Moving the attachment point aft on the boom gives better leverage so less
tension is needed to position the boom.  It is also less likely to break the
boom (most likely in the event of an accidental jibe).

Instead of moving the traveller back, you may find that you can get away with
creating some sort of better purchase system.  I have a 3/4 boom attachment
with cockpit traveller and still had difficulty trimming the main with the
original 3:1 mainsheet.  Here's a link to a video of my improvement.  It is a
compound purchase system which allows a course adjustment (3:1) and a fine
adjustment (12:1).  My first action is to always relieve the pressure on the
traveller by releasing the 12:1.  Then adjust the traveller.  Then use the 12:1
to fine adjust.  It works really well for me but the cockpit traveller allows
for almost 5 feet of tackle length.  I'm not exactly sure how it would work
with the shorter distance of a cabin top arrangement.  Still probably cheaper
to give it a try before moving the traveller.

https://youtu.be/VNUGnNAGsDo

All the best,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Wed, May 13, 2020, 20:20 Pamela & David via CnC-List
Hello

Has any one moved the mainsheet traveler from the cabin top to just in front
the wheel?  When sailing wife the wife I find adjustments to the main difficult
at times.  Have tried playing with the traveler but the sheet tension is the
problems.
Any thoughts

David
MUDPUDDLE ( Whitby)