When I added a solar panel, I put in a dual controller and wired that directly
to my two batteries since I did not have a good common bus point.  That has
worked fine and makes it simpler to run wires as you can run them wherever is
easiest between the panel and the batteries.  Something like this Morningstar
dual controller:

https://www.solar-electric.com/modubachco25.html

except there are cheaper alternatives available now.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT