Yes and yes.  I eventually got it off, but I can’t recall now how I did it (it
was a while ago).  Try using some penetrating oil and let it sit before hitting
it again.  I’ll take a look at mine and see if I can recall anything else I may
have done.

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Andrew Means via
CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:07 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Andrew Means <andrew.cnc...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Barient 27 winch servicing - still squeaks!

Hi all -

The two Barient 27 primary winches on the Safari were in sorry shape, so last
week I decided to service them. After a rather protracted battle I was able to
disassemble and clean/oil/grease one of them to my satisfaction, however - when
reassembling the first winch I realized that, while definitely smoother
internal operations, it still squeaks!

I think I've traced it to the line lifter rubbing on the clamp ring (see manual
here
<http://svsoggypaws.com/files/Winches/Barient%2027%20ST%20Winch%20Service%20Manual.pdf>
 ). I didn't think I needed to remove the line lifter originally, but after
tracing the squeak there I wasn't able to unscrew it (the manual says to tap it
with a soft hammer - hitting it rather hard with a soft hammer didn't help
either).

Does anyone else have these winches on their boat? Anybody else had this
problem?

Andrew