Wichard makes some nice gear, as in ratchet adjuster

https://marine.wichard.com/en/stainless-steel-hardware/rigging-adjusters/backstay-adjusters

I recall Harken made a few many years ago too.

Cheers, Russ

At 12:20 PM 8/15/2020, you wrote:

Raced on a friend's old Morgan 30 (the big heavy one, not the classic 300) and we just used the wheel, setting it up before the race. Sometimes we had a rail guy take off on the downwind leg and then tighten it up again before the beat.
For cruising, it really wouldn't matter about timeliness.
Another boat, a SJ 28, had rachet lever where the wheel would be. It could be switched to go forward or reverse obviously. That went just about as fast as the hydraulics. Don't know where one could find a rachet like that.
Ron
Wild Cheri
C&C 30-1
STL