VC-17 Is a unique bottom paint in that it contains Teflon, and it is
typically used in much thinner thickness than most other paints.

The Teflon tends to get embedded deep into the gelcoat.  My last boat had
VC 17, I thought it was too expensive so I switched.  The Micron CSC fell
off within weeks,the next year I sanded aggressively and tried Fiberglass
Botomkote (which is not ablative).  It fell off in patches too.  but
gradually got better after several years.

I subsequently learned only a quart or 2 of VC 17 would be typical for a
28' boat,  so my initial misgivings about VC 17 cost were misguided.

If I had to do it again, I'd definitely stick with VC 17

Not everyone had adhesion problems when switching from VC 17, but I sure
did.    The only way to be sure you won't have problems would be to strip
the gelcoat and epoxy, then any paint you want.
Eric