I was about to comment that the Racor diesel fuel filter I installed on Imzadi
about 16 years ago had a priming pump in the filter head. I understood that the
filter head without a priming pump was primarily used for a water filter for
gasoline engines (mostly outboards).

I use the smallest Racor filter on Imzadi, which is designed for 15 or 20 GPH
of fuel flow IIRC. That’s about 10 times the flow rate for my 4 cylinder M35B
(about 1.5 GPH including the fuel returned to the tank). So I have elected to
not replace the Racor at 500 engine hours, based on the logic that 500 hours at
15 GPH is equivalent to 7500 hours of operation for my small diesel. I replaced
the secondary 10 micron filter on the engine once, mostly on GPs since I use a
10 micron Racor instead of the 30 micron that most sources recommend for a
primary filter. (if I had a Mitsubishi diesel, or another that used a 3 micron
secondary filter, I WOULD replace it annually.)

In 16 years (about 1400 engine hours) I’ve replaced a clogged Racor filter 3
times (each time within about 40 miles of taking on bad fuel). It is kind of a
PITA to change the filter and reprime when I take on bad fuel, but it happens
so seldom that I find that method preferable to changing the filter every year
when I change the engine oil filter. When I go full time cruising, I’ll
probably be changing the Racor as part of the periodic maintenance every year.

Anyway, that was a long and wandering way to get to the message that the
priming pump on my Racor has not had a problem in 16 tears of recreational use
of the boat.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC