Hi Chuck,  I spent many years of my career supervising and
develop[ing laboratory oil analysis techniques for the Canadian Navy. To
answer your specific question; samples should be collected just after shut
down, while the oil is warm and well mixed. There are many things to
consider when using laboratory oil analysis to predict state of wear or
time until failure. First of all, most normal wear particles are small,
typically less than 1 micrometer in major dimension and appear as flat
platelets.  Even particles that small escape detection by many
spectroscopic oil analysis techniques. Particles indicative of
abnormal wear are generally larger than 1 micrometer in major dimension and
have irregular shapes such as cutting wear particles which can resemble
machine chips. The quantity, size, shape and chemical composition of these
particles found in the oil or on the filter element can be very helpful in
assessing internal condition. Since most of these larger abnormal wear
particles escape detection by the spectroscopic techniques used for oil
analysis, examination of particles found on filter elements and mag plugs
can be very useful indicators but often tell the story after it is already
too late to avoid failure. Any spectroscopic analysis relies on trending so
one sample actually tells very little. what the analyst looks for is an
increase in any metal content (eg. iron, chromium, nickel, etc) as a
function of operating hours since the last oil change.  So if you change
your oil every fall for example and sample that oil only once during the
oil use cycle that will defeat any trending analysis. So since most of us
change the oil and filter in our rather small marine engines it is doubtful
in my mind whether wear metal analysis is at all a useful indicator.  I
will suggest, however, that filter debris analysis is a worthwhile effort
and examination of debris found on magnetic plugs if you are lucky enough
to have one would also be useful.  I will note that water contamination of
the oil is an issue but save for a coolant leak I don't see that being a
significant issue. I also believe that the additive packages in oils that
meet minimum API or SAE specs are very robust and consequently it is very
unlikely that your oil will become acidic during the normal use period. I
will note also that as long as wear particle size and asperities caused by
surface roughness are smaller than the  hydrodynamic film thickness of the
oil between moving parts that your system will not experience significant
wear.  So fine filtration helps and any oil that meets minimum specs is
good. Happy sailing
Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS
d.ve...@bellaliant.net

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:36 AM CHARLES SCHEAFFER <cscheaf...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Oil Testing
>
> Does the oil sample need to be pulled from the very bottom of the sump to
> capture the metals there?
>
> Chuck S
>
> On 10/16/2020 7:55 AM ja...@jpiworldwide.com wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>

> In a previous life I had to do oil samples on heavy equipment and aircraft
> engines (both piston and turbine). Some of these pieces of equipment or
> aircraft would run 24/7 so oil samples were taken weekly…(every  100 hours
> is a common number for production equipment to be sampled) The oil analysis
> would come back from the lab and it would contain information on a variety
> of things… the most important thing to the owners and operators of the
> equipment was the metal content in the oil. As engines are used (and thus
> tend to  wea) parts of the engine are “ground off” and wind up in the oil.
> By analyzing the metallic content really good analysts could determine
> exactly  what part inside the engine was breaking down… but usually they
> were just looking for the aggregate amount of metal shavings/dust/chips
> etc. There is usually some tiny teeny-weeny little bit of metal in the oil
> (especially on high-hour engines), but over a certain level or amount of
> metal , the managers of the equipment would be concerned and sometimes even
> take a piece of equipment out of  service and tear the engine down and
> rebuild it or replace it.
>

> Another thing they did was determine if there was soot or carbon from the
> combustion process, water in the oil, fuel, coolant, dust, dirt, or silica.
> All of these were indicative of different problems in the engine. Again,
> most tests will come back with some small amount of each depending on how
> infinite or precise the sample testing is. As an example if there was
> “dirt” or grit, sand, silica etc in the oil, this may indicate bad fuel,
> bad fuel filler spout, bad fuel cap, air filter(s), or air filter housing
> or hosing. If the sample had coolant in it, then they might look at the
> cylinder heads, or if there was soot, valves or rings may be the problem…
> all kinds of things can be divined from the oil sample if read by a
> knowledgeable person.
>

> Me- I just took the samples, logged the results, and ate lunch 😊
>

> JP

list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use PayPal to