Hi All,

In a previous life I had to do oil samples on heavy equipment and aircraft
engines (both piston and turbine). Some of these pieces of equipment or
aircraft would run 24/7 so oil samples were taken weekly…(every  100 hours is a
common number for production equipment to be sampled) The oil analysis would
come back from the lab and it would contain information on a variety of things…
the most important thing to the owners and operators of the equipment was the
metal content in the oil. As engines are used (and thus tend to  wea) parts of
the engine are “ground off” and wind up in the oil. By analyzing the metallic
content really good analysts could determine exactly  what part inside the
engine was breaking down… but usually they were just looking for the aggregate
amount of metal shavings/dust/chips etc. There is usually some tiny teeny-weeny
little bit of metal in the oil (especially on high-hour engines), but over a
certain level or amount of metal , the managers of the equipment would be
concerned and sometimes even take a piece of equipment out of  service and tear
the engine down and rebuild it or replace it.

Another thing they did was determine if there was soot or carbon from the
combustion process, water in the oil, fuel, coolant, dust, dirt, or silica. All
of these were indicative of different problems in the engine. Again, most tests
will come back with some small amount of each depending on how infinite or
precise the sample testing is. As an example if there was “dirt” or grit, sand,
silica etc in the oil, this may indicate bad fuel, bad fuel filler spout, bad
fuel cap, air filter(s), or air filter housing or hosing. If the sample had
coolant in it, then they might look at the cylinder heads, or if there was
soot, valves or rings may be the problem… all kinds of things can be divined
from the oil sample if read by a knowledgeable person.

Me- I just took the samples, logged the results, and ate lunch 😊

JP