Tom,

Did you get a test pump?  You'll want one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q64CFGV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aLqIFbHTXAH9X

Of course you also need the sample bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSEUQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bMqIFbK1XG4HA

These are the cheapest I could find on Amazon but when I reorder, I will
make sure that the analysis goes through oil analyzers Inc. In order to
continue my history

Josh

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 20:23 Tom Buscaglia <t...@sv-alera.com> wrote:

> I never knew about the oil testing.  Just ordered a test kit...thanks!
>
> Tom B
>
> At 03:26 PM 10/15/2020, you wrote:
>
> This is an interesting, timely and informative thread/discussion. We just
> recently bought another boat with a large Diesel engine.The former owner
> left extensive and detailed documentation. In that documentation are the
> results from engine oil analysis that he performed every year, going back 6
> years. I’m starting to try and educate myself on this and will continue
> to do the sampling which comes up this November. My initial take is that it
> is important for spotting engine wear/maintenance trends.
>
> Thanks to listers for all the insights.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
> 1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
>
> On Oct 15, 2020, at 4:18 PM, Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I sample my oil and sent for analysis.  Costs $20 but the knowledge of
> whether or not the oil is good as well as what else could be wrong with the
> engine is invaluable.  For anyone who cares about the environmental
> impacts, not changing the oil is better for the environment too.  I use an
> over-sized oil filter and the very best amsoil marine diesel engine oil.
> This particular oil has a high TBN of 12.  IIRC, TBN stand for total base
> number, you know base... The opposite of acid.  As acids build up in the
> oil the TBN goes down.  If the person doing the analysis sees that the
> trend suggests the TBN (or any of the oil specs) will be too close to zero
> before the next oil change, they modify their recommendations.
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MaBnvf4Fc9auz-p_Yw-yp5uh-Z7R4N__/view?usp=drivesdk
>
> Keeping moisture out of the oil is another key to long life.  A block
> heater keeps the oil dry, the rings from sticking, the cylinders from
> rusting and the boat warm enough to prevent the bilge from freezing.
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+
> Solomons, MD
>

> October is the time to show your appreciation with a small contribution to
> this list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use
> <https://www.paypal.me/stumurray%A0> Thanks - Stu
>
> .¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤.
> Tom & Lynn Buscaglia
> SV Alera
> C&C 37+/40
> Vashon Island WA
> (206) 463-9200
> www.sv-alera.com
>

> October is the time to show your appreciation with a small contribution to
> this list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use
> - Stu
October is the time to show your appreciation with a small contribution to this
list to help offset the costs. If you want to support the list - use PayPal to