Hello Bruce!  I was told the baby stay’s primary function was to mitigate
mast pumping in a seaway and/or from harmonics. Secondary function to
assist mast bend. I know C&C skippers who don’t use it. I believe mine has
a padeye bolted or screwed into the sump and a turnbuckle to adjust. Not
structural...only to anchor the track if used.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:08 PM Joel Aronson via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Guessing the plate is bolted in and the glass over it is not structural.
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 6:58 PM Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> Ahh...   Of course.
>>
>> I had not thought of that.
>>
>> Have any of you had to do this repair, and do you know how the rod is
>> connected to the keel stub?
>>
>> As a bit of background, the 1/4" stainless rod rig material is attached
>> to the underside of the deck with a 1/4" x 1.5" x 3" stainless plate with
>> two 3/8" stainless screws/bolts.   I am presuming a similar stainless plate
>> was fiberglassed in place at the keel.  As of now, I can't really see it,
>> but I will be able to get to it.  I am thinking I can grind it down a bit
>> to get to clean fiberglass, get a replacement 1/2" threaded rod, tap a hole
>> into a replacement stainless plate and get a welder additionally weld the
>> rod in place so it doesn't move (untwist).  From there, fiberglass it in
>> place.
>>
>> I can then use the existing rod and under-deck attachment.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> Is there any particular trick to the fiberglassing?  How many layers of
>> cloth would you use?
>>
>> Thanks!!!
>>
>> Bruce Whitmore
>> 1994 C&C 37/40+
>> "Astralis"
>> Madeira Beach, FL
>> (847) 404-5092
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021, 2:47 PM Joel Aronson via CnC-List <
>> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce,
>>>
>>> If you have turning blocks attached to the deck I would be careful, as
>>> the rod counteracts the upward force of the halyards.  If they are attached
>>> to the mast, I would think you are OK.
>>>
>>> Joel
>>>

>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>>>
>> --