Hi Bruce,

I haven't had this problem yet.  I may be able to provide a bit of info
though.

As you know, there are webs fiberglassed to the interior of the hull that
provide reinforcement.  These webs form a reinforcing grid that C&C
referred to as the 'Spider'.  These individual webs are generally shaped
like an inverted 'U' and are hollow.  I think, looking at the drawings I
have (they don't show this detail very well), there is a web running fore
and aft on the hull's centreline, from the transverse web that supports the
forward end of the mast step, to around the half height bulkhead that
supports the aft end of the forward berth.  I think the plate the rod is
attached to is glassed into the top of that web so you won't have to glass
to the hull to make the repair, just to the web (I think), which should be
easier to do.

Have a look at the 'Spider design' drawing at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7X4Y5iVFYAKcDd4ZlhWNGZzdmM/view

I think the lower end of the rod is shown as a short little line, rising
from that fore and aft centreline web.

https://c-c-37-40.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Another drawing that my be helpful:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7X4Y5iVFYAKYTJxRDJBc3BvLWM/view

If we're lucky, Rob Ball may remember this detail, and may be able to let
us know if I am correct in my guess (or not).

Ken H.