Bruce,

I believe the rod is a connection from the baby stay track to the keel.  If
your baby stay is disconnected (as mine is), I don’t think there is any force
on that rod.

I’ve never experienced any pumping and I’ve sailed the Enterprise is all kinds
of conditions.

I think you can sail without it - as long as you disconnect the baby stay from
the track.

But I could be wrong. Another possibility is that you should total the boat and
buy another, one that is about 70 miles south of you :-).

All the best,

Edd

———————————————-
Edd M. Schillay