Matthew, you probably want to have a short, dedicated gybing tack line.  Attach
it prior to the gybe (I'm thinking "inside" of pole).  Gybe pole and pre-set
it, then gybe sail.  When done, remove temporary tack line.

At least that's how I hope it will work.  I've never done it but will find out
this spring.

Bob Mann
C&C35 mk I