Sorry,  but I seem to be missing something.  My split hydraulic backstays
have leaked in the past, to I initially just set the backstay tension using
the turnbuckle to a light air setting at the dock and put it on my list for
future repairs.  Now they're fixed ( and yes, more story on that to come).
So what are you folks saying when you talk about a failure at sea being a
bad outcome?  Sure, I understand the loss of fluid, but not something that
would result in loss of the rig.

Would you please explain?

Thanks!

Bruce Whitmore