David,
Could not have said it better...some years back I cleaned out the old stuffing and repacked and the stuffing box hardly drips...I have checked it after an hour or more under motor and it is cool to the touch.  Also get more bilge water from rain....my paddlewhell and plug water don't go to the bilge unless I screw up so I sponge it out.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - #277
Halifax, N.S.

On 2021-07-13 4:35 p.m., David Knecht via CnC-List wrote:
I get a lot more water in the bilge from rain and swapping plug and paddlewheel than I do from the dripping shaft, so dripless is a non-issue for me.  I tightened up my stuffing box last year and since then dripping is almost non-existent and the stuffing box is still cool under motor power.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT