From: Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 10:33 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Edd Schillay <e...@schillay.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Re: Using a broker

Adam,

+1 to Josh’s comments — it really helps if you are looking to borrow money to
purchase the boat and if there are murky title and inspection issues. But, as
Josh says, if you are capable and comfortable doing these things yourself (as
many seasoned boat owners already are) then it’s really not necessary.

PS — If you are looking for slightly newer and larger than your current 1981
36, suggest you look at a 1990 37/40. I know of one that you can get for a
steal — way lower than market value.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Captain of the Starship Enterprise
C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B (for sale - NCC-1701-C is under contract)
Venice Yacht Club | Venice Island, FL

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:24 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List

A broker might be able to help you find a boat and if you are getting a loan
they can smooth the title, inspection, insurance, and loan process.  If you are
comfortable with handling those things yourself then I would consider foregoing
the broker.  Especially and specifically if the boat is local to you.  Going
into using a broker thinking that they are "looking out" for your interests as
well or better than you would is IMO hopeful at best.  The broker gets paid
when they close the deal, not based on how much they saved you or the number of
hours worked or the number of phone calls made.  It is in the interest of the
seller, the sellers agent, AND the buyers agent to close the deal quickly and
at the highest price.  The only person who wins by moving slow and methodical,
searching for the best boat and the best deal is the buyer (you).

Just my 2 cents,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 10:04 Adam Hayden via CnC-List
Hello listers

We are considering/ starting our search  and looking for  something  newer and
slightly larger than our current 1981 C&C36.

I am sure this has been debated before.   Do I need to have a buyers broker(
like real estate) looking our for my interests or is that an unnecessary
expense?   I purchased my last 3 boats without one but they were more local.

Thanks
Adam Hayden

Thanks
Adam

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada’s largest network.