From: Dreuge via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 1:17 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Dreuge <dre...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Re: anyone gone lithium?

Hi Joe,

I made the change to LiFePO4 this year.   And yes, I chose to keep the
lead-acid start battery with the alternator directly connected to it.   I
originally planned on using a DC-DC charger (both w/ and wo/ MPPT solar
charging) for charging the LiFePO4 battery.    The issue with DC-DC chargers
are the limiting charging current, 30A for Victron units, and 50A/60A for
others.     I have a 120A alternator and to get the most out of it, would
require using multiple DC-DC chargers in parallel.

My solution was rather simple.  Use the existing Blue Sea SI-ARC but in a
switched control mode.  I first installed a manual push-pull switch and then
built an Arduino smart switch which senses the ignition power to control a
relay switch for the ACR.  I even added temp sensors: one for alternator
temperature and the other for the LiFePO4 battery(don’t charge LiFePO4
batteries at temps below freezing).   I have it documented on my blog (see
links below).

I do like Sterling Power’s alternator protector and will likely install one in
the future.

My recommendation is to focus on the battery system first.  LiFePO4 drop-in
replacements are economical, but putting together a DIY LiFePO4 battery is
simple and affordable.  I replaced 2 group 31 deep cycle 110AH batteries with a
560AH LiFePO4 battery.

LiFePO4 battery build
https://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2021/06/adding-new-lifepo4-to-house-battery.html

Solar System