Joe,

What is your alternator rated at?   I was lucky to charge my FLA batteries at
half rating, but now I easily charge at 110A.   You may want to consider the
Renogy DCC1212-60A or the DCC50S \(w/ MPPT).

Balmer sells these alternator protectors which are basically a short wire with
a Zener in the middle.  You connect one end to +V alternator terminal and the
other end to the alternator GND terminal.  But as you pointed out, you get one
life protection, but worse is figuring that out.

Paul

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C Landfall 38