FWIW, this prompted me to take a look at the book "Heart of Glass:
Fiberglass boats and the men who made them": and some info on Balsa is on
p122,

"Balsa Core. The Baltek Corporation was the exclusive supplier to powerboat
builders of balsa planks for stiffening hull sides and bottoms. When balsa
was originally supplied in lengths with the grain running longitudinally,
Pearson had problems with water migrating away from the point of entry at
the deck hardware fasteners, causing delamination. Everett Perason recalls
that "We were using pieces 3 feet long by 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches wide.
We had some leaks at the fittings, which didn't make any sense. So I
started stacking this stuff up and cutting it on the bandsaw and making
end-grain balsa. I was doing that on Constitution Street when Alex Lippay
and Bob Levine came in from Baltek. They said "What are you doing". I sadi
"I got to turn this stuff the other way to stop the water from spreading.
They said "Jeez, this is what we should be doing." I said "You're right".
That's how Contourkore started. They took the end-grain idea and made
samples that we evaluated. They came up with a method of putting scrim on
it and so forth. In hindsight, I should have applied for a patent. I think
we were probably one of the first to use Contourkore, as early as 1963 in a
race boat hull. THe new product was brought to market in 1963 and 1964,
with Pearson as one of the its first few users and most vocal supporters.
Indeed, in 1981, Pearson sank a 2-square-foot basl cored panel in
Narragansett Bay, attached by change to his dock. After three years he
removed the panel from the water and had it analyzed. The results? No water
penetrated the balso more than 4 mils."

Best,

Lisle