Interesting conversation, and thank you for asking for my input. Apologies
for a late reply though, I've been up to my eyebrows, on behalf of the
Marine Museum, in organizing the upcoming Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame
Inductions on October 3rd in Kingston.

I started my career in the marine industry designing with C&C in the late
'60s, and finished it in sales and marketing with Baltek in New Jersey from
2003 to 2011. I thought it was appropriate to wrap up my career with
Baltek, since balsa core was such an integral part of my design work with
C&C. It felt like closing a circle. However,the Baltek offices at the time
being only 45 minutes from Manhattan was also a consideration.  What has
been discussed to date is essentially accurate.  The Kohn family did
escape from France in the early days of the 2nd WW and established business
in New York City. Jacque Kohn spent time among their balsa plantations in
Ecuador increasing the production of balsa wood, which at the time was
considered a "strategic material" for the war effort, specifically for use
in Navy carley floats and liferafts, and as mentioned previously for the
Mosquito fighter/bomber, the wooden wonder. However, it was planks of
flat-grain balsa that were used as a coring material in the fuselage
between laminated birch skins, not end-grain. The fuselage was laid up over
male molds in two halves then joined together after the electrical and
hydraulics had been run down each side of the fuselage interior. Most of
this work was done by women.

After the war, of course, demand for basa plummeted, resulting in a search
for new markets other than model airplanes and fishing floats. One large
market that developed was for insulation in LNG tankers, but that too died
out with the development of new shipping methods. The story of Everet
Pearson and the invention of end-grain balsa through Alex Lippay  is
essentially true, but others were also experimenting with end-grain balsa
as a core, specifically in the aircraft industry. Adding a scrim to
blocks of end-grain balsa allowed the material to be applied in 2'x4'
sheets and allowed the sheet to contour to the shape of the deck initially
and then hulls. The advantage of end-grain over flat-grain as a core
material, of course, is the exceptional increase in both compression
strength and shear strength. End-grain balsa is essentially a honeycomb.
The use of end-grain balsa between two load bearing skins created an
engineered panel not unlike a three dimensional I-beam. It greatly
increased stiffness and reduced weight compared to a single skin glass
panel of the same strength. Initially it was used extensively in decks
only. The first use in a hull laminate was with the building of *Red Jacket*
in 1965 (see latest issue of Good Old Boat). It was Alex Lippay who guided
Cuthbertson & Cassian and Erich Bruckmann in the building of *Red Jacket*.
Bruckmann, of course, had never built a fiberglass boat in his life, let
alone the most advanced composite laminate todate! Back in 2003 when I told
George Cuthbertson that I was joining Baltek he asked me if Alex Lippay was
still there. Alex, of course, had passed away many years ago, but was
still  immortalized at Baltek in the designation for the precoating on
balsa which was known as AL-600. Jacque and Margot Kohn, then in their
'80s, were also still there, but had recently sold the company to Alcan,
and were phasing out of the operations. Both Jacque and Margot, too, have
since passed away. Working at Baltek was an amazing experience and I still
maintain close friendships with the people who were there, most having
worked their whole careers with the company. It was literally a family run
business. The Alcan acquisition, and subsequent later acquisitions, of
course, changed that, and the company suffered because of management by
people who often did not understand the lumber business.

With the success of* Red Jacket*, C&C Yachts was created in 1969, and all
three builders (Bruckmann, Hinterhoeller, and Morch) embraced balsa core
construction for hulls and decks. Most of my time at Baltek was teaching
builders, even as late as the 2000s how to install core correctly - fillet
all edges, prewet before installing, fill all kerfs, isolate the core from
all openings, vacuum bag or infuse if possible, etc,. etc. If installed
properly, balsa core will last forever.* Red Jacket's* hull is a testament
to that. Her deck, not so much! People will willy-nilly drill holes in
decks, but not hulls.*  Red Jacket*, of course, has recently been donated
to the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston. Her arrival has been
delayed due to the complications of Covid.

Reference has been made to Dan Spurr's excellent book Heart of Glass. Dan
is a long time friend and my editor at both Professional Boatbuilder
magazine and Good Old Boat magazine. Anyone interested in the history of
fiberglass boat building needs to have a copy of that book in their
library. It even has a chapter on Canadian boatbuilders.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, but this is a
topic that is of great interest to me, having worked both on the design and
building side with C&C, Mark Ellis and Hunter Marine, and on the sales and
marketing side of core materials with ATC (Corecell) and Baltek (Balsa,
PVC, and PET). In the immortal words of Paul Pfund, when it comes to core
installation, if you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all!

By the way, I should mention that the Baltek labs under the management of
Dr. Kurt Feightinger are second to none. The amount of data that they have
available on all core materials is impressive.  While I was there we did a
complete study on the properties of wet balsa specifically aimed at Sea
Ray, but the results were interesting, to say the least. Wet balsa even at
100% saturation is still stronger than most foam cores. However, if decay
sets in, then that's a different story. Their design expertise headed by
Russ Elkin is also impressive.

Thus endeth the epistle.

Rob Mazza